Designed by its owner, Sankei Hara, a tycoon in the silk trade from the early 1900s, this garden was both private home to Hara and open to public from 1906. Spread over 175,000m² and complete with small hills, a few ponds and tastefully-located centuries-old architectures brought here from around the country, the garden is truly an amazing work of art. With beautiful seasonal flowers decorating the garden all year around, many charming seasonal events are held here as well. Prepare to spend at least a few hours to thoroughly enjoy and experience the serene aesthetics of a traditional Japanese garden!
The garden turns paradisiacal in the cherry blossoms season.
● Admission fee: adult 500 yen
● TEL: 045-621-0634
● Access from Yokohama station: 35 minutes on municipal bus No. 8 or 148 to Honmoku Sankeien Mae or 15 minutes by taxi from the station.
Even if you are not a fan of stereotypical Japanese cuisine, you may feel otherwise about instant noodles, a proud part of Japanese cuisine invented right here in Japan. The amazing Cupnoodles Museum was built to share the philosophy of the inventor, Momofuku Ando, attracting visitors of all ages and nationality since its grand opening last September. One of the most popular attractions here is My CUPNOODLES Factory, where you can create your own cupnoodles! The museum is complete with noodle shops and a playground for kids, making it a great spot for everyone including families with young kids!
1 Draw on the cup 2 pick one of four soup flavorings and 4 ingredients out of 12 3 watch it get sealed 4 the balloon bag guards it from accidental squishing!
● Admission fee: adult 500 yen. Making 1 original cup noodles: 300 yen
● 10:00-18:00 (closed on Tuesdays)
● TEL: 045-345-0918
● Access from Tokohama station: Take Minatomirai line to Minatomirai station and 8 minutes walk from there.
The Landmark Tower Sky Garden
Located on the 69th floor and 273 meters above ground, you can enjoy a 360º view of the city and even Tokyo Sky Tree and Mt. Fuji on a clear day. The elevator to the observatory is the fastest in Japan, operating smoothly at 750 meters per minute (that is 45 km/h!). At the observatory, find the heart-shaped object for “Onegai Lovers Project” which collects people’s wishes to be taken to the top of Mt.Fuji every summer for a special prayer. You can get the piece of paper for free, so write in your wish and tie it to the heart!
1 You can lounge around with the great view from the observatory 2 make your wish with Onegai Lovers Project!
● Admission fee: adult 1000 yen
● TEL: 045-222-5030
● http://www. yokohama-landmark.jp/ skygarden/web/english/
● Access from Yokohama station: 1 stop on Minatomirai line at Minatomirai station.
Shin Yokohama Ramen Museum
Although ramen has its roots in China, this extremely popular dish has become such a great part of Japanese cuisine that there is a museum entirely dedicated to it. Along with the exhibition of its history, there are 8 renowned ramen restaurants from around the country where you can enjoy various types of ramen in a space built like a town square from the 1950s. Some restaurants serve half portions, so you can taste different bowls all in one shot! Don’t forget to bring a huge appetite!
1 Seaweed and soft boiled egg ramen at Toride 880 yen 2 Spicy miso ramen at Ryushanhai 850 yen 3 Osama ramen at Komurasaki 800 yen
● Admission fee: adult 300 yen
● TEL: 045-471-0503
● Access from Yokohama station: 10 minutes to Shin Yokohama station by JR Yokohama line and 5 minutes walk from there.
Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse
Apart from 5 years after WWII, when it was used by the American occupation troops, these warehouses served as an important storage space right by the harbor to support the rapidly expanding international trade, from their completion in 1911 and 1913 until their demise in 1989. They are now used as a shopping complex with fashionable restaurants and an event venue, attracting fashionable crowds. Take a walk on the path, which extends all the way to Yamashita Park along the bay, and you’ll love the city instantly!
● Shops: 11:00-20:00 (restaurants are open later)
● TEL: 045-227-2002 (Information desk)
● http://www. yokohama-akarenga.jp/ index.html
● Access from Yokohama station: Take Minatomirai line to Nihon Odori and 2 minutes walk from there.